Pin straight hair is back in full force. A departure from previous seasons filled with romantic tousled curls, and undone beachy waves this look is streamlined and effortlessly modern. Long, sleek and minimalistic hairstyles go perfect with a peplum top and giant chandelier earrings. To get the look I turned to my go-to hair pro Jami Kenna at Red Magnolia Salon. She gave me the skinny on the best ways to achieve this style, without damaging your hair.
1. The key to getting super sleek hair is to take small sections of hair and GO SLOW!
2. You should take 1/2" inch sections and move your flat iron very slowly down the strand all the way through the ends. I recommend The Kevin Murphy "Damage Manager" because it’s awesome for protecting your hair from the heat. You'll get the best results by spraying as you go, focusing on the mid shaft and ends of the hair.
3. Curly hair can definitely get the sleek look, it just requires a bit of extra work. Blowdry your hair using a smoothing cream like Davines "Relaxing Fluid" which is humidity resistant to keep the frizz down throughout the day.
4. It’s essential to get your hair as straight as possible before you start flat ironing, so try using a paddle brush while you dry.
5. If you want to spunk up your locks a little bit, use the Kevin Murphy Color Bug! It's a great way to get those fun pastel colors in your hair without the maintenance. We have all three colors; orange pink and purple.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!