Shellac has been one of my fave nail treatments for a while now. The chip resistant, lightning fast-drying, and super shiny gel color lasts way longer (up to two full weeks) versus the standard mani, which I somehow manage to fuck up within mere minutes of leaving the salon. But is it bad for you? Anyone who has gotten Shellac knows the best part is being able to leave immediately upon popping your little mitts under the dryer. The problem is that the dryer uses UV Radiation (similar to what they use for those yucky tanning beds) for that speedy dry time. Although research is still pending, there have been a small number of reported cases linking nail dryers to skin cancer. Considering the number of things that are said to be cancer causing (Diet Coke, anybody?) will this stop my love for Shellac? The jury is out on this one.
Get the best of the Mercury each week in your inbox!