This Week in the Mercury

Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Fitness Dos with Kara Lemmon

Posted by Kayla Rekofke on Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Kara and her Daughter Zoey Downward Dogging!
  • Parkside Fitness
  • Kara and her Daughter Zoey Downward Dogging!

After a summer of traveling, drinking, eating, and up-all-nighters my health plan needs a massive overhaul. While visiting family in the area, I turned to fitness expert and founder of Parkside Fitness (located in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho) Kara Lemmon to get some answers.

Mercury: Summer is always the time people want to shape up! What are few tips you would advise to get rid of bloat before hitting the beach?
Kara Lemmon: Drink lots of water and practice yoga... it is such a great way to cleanse the body from the inside out.

Arms are always my biggest issue! I hate the way they look in photos. What are some of the most effective ways to beat the dreaded arm bulge?
Planks and push-ups for sure. Lots of them!

Diet plays a big role on your path to slimming down, what are a few foods to definitely avoid? What are some of the best foods to choose?
Avoid anything packaged and processed. Try to avoid white foods (flour, sugar, bread) and choose fresh fruit, veggies, and lean proteins. Also try to stay away from diet food and artificial sweeteners.

"Thinspo" and "Thinsporation" are big buzzwords at the moment, do you feel like woman put too much pressure on having the perfect body?
Yes! I am so afraid for my daughter to grow up and have to worry about being skinny. I want women to be happy with having curves and feel strong and sexy in their own skin. Skinny is not pretty. I think everyone should practice yoga, it teaches you to love yourself!

What do you think is a realistic goal for achieving a good balance between exercise, diet, and splurging?
I call it the 80/20 rule. Try to eat well and exercise 80% of the time... the other 20% you can be a little naughty!

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this thread:

Comments are closed.

All contents © Index Newspapers, LLC

115 SW Ash St. Suite 600
Portland, OR 97204

Contact Info | Privacy Policy | Production Guidelines | Terms of Use | Takedown Policy